Creating and selling online courses is one of the most lucrative ways to make money online, or even create a full-time business. There are a number of platforms that allow you to create and sell online courses, each with its own set of features and benefits.
When choosing a platform to create and sell your courses, there are several factors to consider, including the price, ease of use, features, and support. To help you choose the best platform for your needs, we’ve compiled a list of the best online course platforms to create and sell online courses in 2022.
Best Online Course Platforms – Our Top 5 Picks
- Teachable – Overall best online course platform
- LearnWorlds – Best for interactive learning
- Thinkific – Great for growing businesses
- Graphy – Best for ease of use
- Podia – Best for beginners
Why Using Online Course Platforms
So why use a platform to create and sell online courses? Here are some reasons:
- You’ll be able to get your course up and running quickly and easily.
- You won’t have to worry about web hosting or designing your own website.
- There are a number of different platforms to choose from, so you can find one that fits your needs.
- You’ll be able to reach a wide audience with your course.
- You’ll be able to sell your courses for a profit.
- You’ll be able to track your sales and progress over time.
- You’ll be able to get feedback from your students.
- You’ll be able to create a community around your course.
- You’ll be able to update and improve your course over time.
The 10 Best Online Course Platforms
Teachable is focused on creating an online platform that can be easily accessed by anyone in the world. With more than 100,000 creators, teachable is one of the best online course platforms. You can create courses online on the teachable website.
They offer direct integrations to other tools, including Mail Chimp, Zapier, Google Analytics, Convert Kit, and Segment as well. Teachable is an advanced online course creating a platform with easy setup and management.
You can customize your own courses easily, and you can also get help from their world-class support team that hosts live sessions every week. Teachable allows you to send marketing emails, host live sessions, and create certificates as well. Teachable offers courses to about 10 million students every year.
Teachable Key Features
- Teachable offers customization on all plans.
- Teachable allows you to integrate with most third-party tools.
- You can schedule online courses to make time from your busy life.
- Teachable allows you to engage with your students in different ways to increase interest.
- You can create new courses on teachable in the easiest way possible.
Teachable offers four different pricing plans. All the prices listed below apply to annual subscriptions.
- Free Plan: $0
- Basic Plan: $29 per month.
- Pro Plan: $99 per month.
- Business Plan: $249 per month.
- Great for busy bloggers
- Easy checkout
- Course certificates
- Flexibility and ease of use
- Live classes
- Pages caching issues
- Payment delay
Who is Teachable For?
Teachable is an excellent platform for beginners who want to start selling their courses on a budget. Its features allow users to create new courses in the most professional manner.
LearnWorlds is one of the most popular student-teacher interaction platforms with exciting quizzes, interactive game teaching, and engaging user videos. Along with an excelled test engine, the LearnWorld platform allows students to avail videos, access articles, and even contact the support staff for a better education experience.
For teachers, the program provides search engine optimization of courses to allow students to find these courses with relative ease on search engines.
It also has a Synchronized Transcript feature that enables the teacher to keep an eye on the student even online.
Moreover, to foster a sense of community and group learning among students, LearnWorlds also allows students to interact with each other for classes and courses collectively.
LearnWorlds Key Features
- Learn worlds give access to videos, how-to articles, and live chat.
- It features a learning community feature that improves communication with students.
- Freedom to create quizzes, tests, and assessments to keep track of students.
- Learn Worlds allow you to provide certificates on course completion.
- Ability to develop a mobile app with the Mobile App Builder.
With LearnWorlds you can save up to 20% with yearly subscription plans.
- Starter Plan: $24 per month.
- Pro trainer Plan: $79 per month.
- Learning Center Plan: $249 per month.
- High Volume and Corporate: contact their sales team for pricing.
- Offer certificates
- Great student interaction
- 24/7 support
- Customizable domain
- Freedom to create coupons
- New templates
- Language issues
- No bulk uploading
Who Is LearnWorlds For?
LearnWorlds is an excellent online course platform for individuals as well as enterprises. It is an easy-to-use platform that offers a variety of tools for creating and selling Courses.
Exploring through different online learning platforms, you might have heard about Thinkific. It is one of the best online course platforms, with more than 16 million students across 165+ countries. Thinkific offers live classes along with video-based instructions for easier access.
With more than 400 dedicated instructors, this online learning platform is achieving milestones. Thinkific is focused on making the learning experience comfortable and easily accessible. You can customize your own courses and deliver them in the best form.
The in-depth reports, assignments, quizzes, and surveys allow you to comprehend the course in the best way possible. Thinkific’s support team is ready to answer all your questions and clear your doubts in just a few hours.
Thinkific Key Features
- Progress reports allow you to keep track of your students.
- They offer various unique templates to choose from.
- Thinkific also offers free plans through which you can access unlimited students and create courses for a kick start.
- Thinkific provides free demos to help you understand the platform better.
- You can easily connect your PayPal or Stripe account for funds transfer.
Thinkific offers three pricing plans along with 20% off on a yearly subscription.
- Basic Plan: $49 per month
- Pro Plan: $99 per month
- Premier Plan: $499 per month.
- Selling courses in bundles
- Free price customization
- Personalized domain
- Email Features
- Edit code on the website
- Bit outdated themes
- Hard to access at first
- No chat support
Who is Thinkific For?
Thinking is one of the best online course platforms. It is perfect for anyone who wants to seriously invest their time in creating and selling their own courses.
Even though this platform was launched only a few years back, it is known all around the world. Graphy by Unacademy is one of the best online course platforms. With about more than 30,000 content creators, this platform is achieving milestones.
Graphy allows you to create unique courses according to your preferences. Graphy offers courses to millions of students everywhere. The website was launched in 2020 along with the application for users to access all the courses easily.
Graphy is an all-in-one application where you can create courses and monetize your skills in the easiest ways. The advanced tools and features of Graphy make it unique and different from other regular course platforms. Graphy is mainly based in India, USA, and Singapore.
Graphy Key Features
- Allows you to connect with your audience through SMS, email, and push notifications.
- Access to various payment providers for more manageable payments.
- Allow you to create custom domains and websites.
- Graphy provides access to multiple integrations to improve workflow.
- Create a website without coding.
- You can either upload your videos on schedule or host live sessions.
Graphy offers three payment plans.
- Basic Plan: $49 per month.
- Business Plan: $169 per month.
- Advance Plan: $299 per month.
- Built-in templates and domains
- Interactive application
- Freedom to create courses
- Easy payment collection
- 24 hours chat support
- 5% platform fee
- PDF file issues
Who is Graphy For?
Graphy is a fantastic course creating a platform for beginners and professionals both. The advanced tools and budget-friendly pricing of this platform make it one of the best online course platforms.
Podia is another budget-friendly online learning platform that offers a wide range of courses. Apart from course creation, Podia also allow you to improve your marketing skills. It is an all-in-one solution that will fulfill your content creator needs.
Supporting more than 50,000 members, Podia is the only online learning platform that does not charge any transaction fees. Podia’s email marketing skills are beyond compare. However, you have to set your course before uploading it to the website because they do not offer customization of any sort.
Podia is a user-friendly platform with minimalistic and straightforward setup features that anyone can access easily. Their 24/7 support and unique features make it one of the best online course platforms. You can also host live webinars on Podia.
Podia Key Features
- With podia, you can receive instant payment by selling your courses.
- You can easily connect with your audience through the best marketing tools, including email marketing and social media integrations.
- Podia expands your membership with your digital storefront.
- You don’t have to pay any transaction fees when working with podia.
- Podia allows you to schedule your courses in advance.
Podia has three pricing plans.
- Mover Plan: $39 per month.
- Shaker Plan: $89 per month.
- Earthquaker Plan: $199 per month
- Easy setup, user-friendly
- Progress tracks
- Affiliated marketing
- New and advanced features
- No transaction fees
- No course customization
- Few templates for storefront pages
- No certificates are provided
Who is Podia For?
Podia is an excellent platform for anyone who creates simple courses and prefers to get instant payouts. It is excellent for beginners as well as experienced content creators.
Skillshare is one of the largest online course platforms. Focused primarily on creativity, Skillshare features some of the best courses with great value. Skillshare covers a wide range of subjects, including Art, Graphic Designing, Music Production, Data Science, Analytics, Cooking, Animation, Writing, and E-Commerce as well.
Skillshare offers over 35000 courses and has about 5 million users. This online learning platform features advanced tools and a creative learning experience. Since the platform is learner-based, it consists mostly of individuals and entrepreneurs.
Skillshare is one of the best platforms to share creative content. You can benefit from it with advanced communication skills and engagement sources the most. The platform thrives with more than 8000 skilled creators who have earned over 5 million dollars.
Skillshare Key Features
- All courses on Skillshare are authentic and verified.
- Skillshare provides the best communication tools.
- They allow you to promote your courses to a targeted audience.
- Skillshare provides access to the admin portal to keep track of progress.
- Flexible timings and schedules make it easy to upload videos.
- Skillshare is Accessible through phone and laptop both.
Skillshare offers three pricing plans for teams of 2 to 51.
- Starter Plan: Suitable for a team of 2-19. $159 per year
- Enterprise Plan: Suitable for a team of 20+. Contact sales for price.
- Revive Plan: For a team of 51 or more. Contact sales for price
- Free trials are available.
- Easy to use
- Professional management
- Multiple marketing sources
- Access to the analytics report
- No course certificates
- No live sessions
- Support only via email
Who is Skillshare For?
Skillshare is great for all those instructors who want to share creative content like photography, animation, illustration, and painting. Skillshare is one of the most popular learning platforms which offers the best engaging tools and allows students to share their works.
Udemy is a popular, user-sourced online learning platform. It is a place where one can learn new skills or develop hobbies to achieve more in life.
This platform offers more than 196000 courses in Marketing, Photography, Business, IT, Music, Personal Development, Software, and much more. Courses on Udemy are offered through videos with additional notes, homework, and tests.
All of their courses can be captioned in more than 75 languages for easier access. They currently have 52 million students and is the topmost online learning platform.
Udemy allows you to create and submit courses as well, which is excellent, but it somehow brings down the quality of content that is being produced on it. They provide authentic certificates upon the completion of the course. Udemy is one of the best online course platforms.
Udemy Key Features
- Most courses on Udemy are skill-based and are taught by well-educated instructors.
- Udemy application allows the students to listen to content on the go.
- Quizzes and coursework help in focusing on the course.
- Action-based email campaigns target audience.
Udemy Pricing for Instructors
Udemy is free to use and host your courses and they offer two pricing structures for instructors:
- Sales through instructor promotions: 97% of the revenue when the student purchases their content using an instructor’s coupon or referral link.
- Sales without instructor promotions: 37% of the revenue for any Udemy sales where no instructor coupon or course referral link was used.
Udemy Pricing for Students
- Individual purchases: Some courses start from $10.99
- Udemy Team: for teams of 5-20 users it will cost $360/year per user
- Udemy Enterprise: for teams of 21+ users contacting the sales department is required
- Variety of courses in popular niches
- Proficient instructors
- Easy to access
- Payouts usually take 2-3 months
- Pricing limitations for your courses
- 37% on sales without promotion
Who is Udemy For?
Udemy is recommended for anyone with a desire to teach or learn new skills. It is an easy-to-access platform, that makes it easy to create and sell courses. Lastly, Udemy offers a number of marketing tools to help you promote your course and reach your target audience.
LearnDash is one of the most popular WordPress Learning Management System (LMS) plugins that allows you to create and sell courses from your own website. It’s easy to use and comes with a number of features, including drip content, quizzes, certificates, and more. Amongst the widely known websites that use LearnDash, the University of Michigan and Infusion soft top the list.
With features such as Focus Mode, Course Builder, and the integrated grade book technology, LearnDash stands tall as one of the most decorated web learning platforms on the internet.
The course builder assists in a relatively more robust user experience with room for customization funneled through the Focus mode. It also has a well-established rewarding system with badges and certificate awards for completing courses.
LearnDash Key Features
- LearnDash gives access to multiple integrations.
- Drag and drop course builder makes course building easier.
- Offers various engagement features, including Leader boards, Course points, Badges, Certificates, and Discussion forums.
- Learn Dash gives you the freedom to customize domains and course displays.
- Access to progress reports tracking the performance of students.
Similar to other platforms, LearnDash also offers three pricing plans.
- Basic Plan: $159 per year.
- Plus Plan: $189 per year.
- Pro Plan: $329 per year.
- Complete control over your courses
- Offer courses in many languages
- Great customer support services
- User-Friendly Drag-and-Drop Builder
- Interactive Features
- No support for multiple teachers per course
- Requires a WordPress-based website.
- Payment Options Are Limited
Who Is LearnDash For?
LearnDash might look a bit overwhelming for beginners and people with less to no experience in using a WordPress website, but once the setup part is done, it can be a great tool for people who desire total control over their online learning platform.
9. Academy of Mine
Academy of Mine is Learning Management Software (LMS) which was launched in 2014 and had been thriving since then. This platform is focused on creating advanced tools to help instructors create better courses. Academy of mine integrates with different software applications for easier access.
This platform allows you to customize and create high-end courses. They also offer customization services, which means they will develop courses according to your preferences and requirements. Academy of Mine is one of the best online course platforms. It is best suited for professional Training and development.
Academy of Mine processes payment through PayPal and credit card. It is one of the few platforms which allow you to keep 100% of your earnings and doesn’t charge any transaction fees.
Academy of Mine Key Features
- Academy of Mine supports all known devices, including tablets, phones, laptops, and PC.
- It gives you the freedom to customize almost all parts of the platform.
- Offers translations in many different languages.
- Academy of Mine offers Pre-built layouts as well.
- One dashboard covers all your courses.
Academy of Mine Pricing
Academy of Mine offers three pricing plans.
- Essentials Plan: $599 per month.
- Professional Plan: $899 per month.
- Enterprise Plan: Contact for price.
- Advanced tools and features
- Interactive resources
- Great support team
- Well-organized platform
- Quite expensive than other platforms
- Difficult to set up at first
Who is Academy of Mine For?
Since Academy of Mine is more expensive than other platforms, it is mainly used by large enterprises, Small businesses, or administrations. However, an experienced course creator can also use this platform to create and sell courses.
Kajabi is another popular online learning platform that is focused more on course selling rather than course creation. However, it is not that Kajabi does not have any features to customize courses.
Kajabi is famous for its sales and marketing skills, which promote courses to the targeted audience. Kajabi has more than 40,000 instructors who sell courses online to earn money. This platform allows you to create content without coding.
One of the most popular features of Kajabi is the Sales Funnel software. This feature allows you to track multiple buyers and create marketing campaigns accordingly. Kajabi offers a wide range of advanced tools that will help any course creating business.
Kajabi Key Features
All the key features of Kajabi are listed below.
- Kajabi gives you access to course insights, which helps in tracking the progress of students.
- Provides maximum control over every aspect of the sales process.
- The automated feature allows you to create engaging courses.
- Kajabi gives access to a marketing feature that allows you to promote courses with one click.
- Unlimited hosting allows you to upload videos, assignments, or notes without any restriction.
Kajabi offers three different pricing plans, which are as follows:
- Basic Plan: $119 per month.
- Growth Plan: $199 per month.
- Pro Plan: $399 per month.
- Focuses on selling courses
- Payments via PayPal and Stripe
- Advanced tools
- Excellent video streaming
- Professional Experience
- It doesn’t offer certificates
- Tricky to use
Who is Kajabi For?
Kajabi is an excellent platform for any course creator who is focused on marketing more than anything else. However, it is not suitable for technologically challenged people because of its complex setup.
Final Thoughts on Best Online Course Platforms
Despite the pandemic, the market for online education platforms surpassed $315 billion in 2021 and is expected to hit $1 trillion by 2028, according to a report by Global Market Insights.
There are several reasons for this impressive growth. For one, online platforms offer a flexible and convenient way to learn. They also provide a more affordable option than traditional schools, as well as a wider range of courses and programs.
In addition, online courses can be a great way to make money online. If you have expertise in a particular subject or field, you can create and sell courses on an online platform, as they do not require a lot of maintenance, offering you the liberty to focus on producing quality content for your audience.