The popularity of metaverse crypto games has grown exponentially in recent years. This is due to the fact that they offer a number of advantages over traditional games. For example, metaverse crypto games provide players with the opportunity to earn cryptocurrency rewards, which can be used to purchase in-game items or withdrawn and exchanged for fiat currency.
So is The Sandbox Metaverse, one of the most popular blockchain games, and metaverse real estate platforms, with a vibrant and growing community. If you’ve ever been fond of imaginary worlds and have had thoughts of unrealistic futuristic or Sci-Fi environments, this is finally your time to get happy and entertained.
The Sandbox Metaverse Overview
What is a Play-to-Earn Blockchain Game?
A play-to-earn blockchain game is a video game that allows players to earn rewards in the form of cryptocurrency or other digital assets through their in-game activity.
These assets can be used to purchase in-game items or traded on external marketplaces. Play-to-earn games typically use cryptocurrency tokens that are based on blockchain technology, which allows for trustless and secure transactions.
One of the advantages of play-to-earn games is that they provide a way for players to generate income from their gameplay. This can be especially beneficial for professional gamers who can use their earnings to support their gaming career. Play-to-earn games also have the potential to create new economic opportunities for players in developing countries.
There are a growing number of Play-to-Earn games available, ranging from collectible card games to online multiplayer games. Some popular Play-to-Earn games include Mines of Dalarnia, Illuvium, Vulcan Forged, and of course The Sandbox Metaverse, which we’ll be discussing today.
What Is The Sandbox Metaverse?
The Sandbox Metaverse is a user-generated content game with a focus on creativity and collaboration. In the game, players can create their own worlds, populate them with objects and characters, and share them with other players. The game features a robust physics engine that allows for creative experimentation, and a wide variety of user-created content, providing a quick easy way to access metaverse.
The Sandbox Info
|Platforms||PC iOS Android|
|Release Date||November 29, 2021 ( First Alpha Version )|
The crypto space is seeing a significant increase in the frequency of play-to-earn blockchain games. This is why The Sandbox metaverse is also gaining a great deal of importance due to it being a detailed play-to-earn NFT game.
The basic gameplay allows players to build a virtual world with the help of in-game assets that are non-fungible tokens (NFTs) built on the Ethereum blockchain.
The Sandbox’s platform allows players to easily design their avatars with the help of the avatar creator section in the game. These avatars can be used to represent them in the different games, environments, and hubs on The Sandbox metaverse. Consider the game as a DeFi version of Minecraft but now built on the blockchain.
The Sandbox Metaverse game was launched in 2012 by Pixowl. Initially, The Sandbox game was destined to become a Minecraft rival but for the mobile platforms. It even got extremely famous and generated 40+ million downloads worldwide.
However, when the co-founders decided to explore the metaverse area, they began researching a truly 3D metaverse platform that would consist of NFTs and players would be able to earn rewards.
This is when the co-founders released the new Sandbox Metaverse game in 2020 and made it one of the fastest-growing games in the crypto world, standing shoulder-to-shoulder with the likes of Axie Infinity and Decentraland.
In November 2021, The Sandbox Metaverse managed to raise a whopping $93 million funding round from investors led by SoftBank, the Japanese mobile giant.
The Sandbox Alpha Seasons
In the Sandbox Metaverse game, Alpha Seasons will be multi-week events where players may win $SAND incentives – and possibly NFTs (non-fungible tokens) – just by playing games. During the season, players will have the chance to discover The Sandbox play-to-earn game for the first time through the activities and social hubs offered.
The Sandbox Alpha Season 1
The Alpha First Season was released on 29th November 2021 and has included 18 weekly experiences for people keen to try The Sandbox Metaverse game. Unfortunately, only Alpha Pass holders had access to all regions of the Alpha, including all 18 activities, as well as to play-to-earn events.
Those without an Alpha Pass were only able to access the Alpha Hub and three other experiences, to engage with other community members through the social hub, but without any play-to-earn activities.
The Sandbox Alpha Season 2
Alpha Season 2 is the second round of Alpha testing, it was released on March 3rd, 2022, and it is an upgraded version of the original Alpha event. This also provides a chance for users to try The Sandbox metaverse, and earn SAND cryptocurrency, while also allowing The Sandbox team to gather feedback from players.
What is SAND?
SAND is the utility token for The Sandbox Metaverse and is used to perform different types of transactions and interactions inside its ecosystem. This directly means that any player who wishes to play The Sandbox game needs to have a sufficient amount of SAND in their ownership. The cryptocurrency is built on the ERC-20 framework and contains a total supply of 3 billion SAND.
What is SAND Used For?
The SAND token is required to customize the avatars inside Sandbox, to buy LANDs, or trade ASSETS on the Sandbox Marketplace. What makes SAND great in the crypto space is that it also acts as a governance token.
This means that any holder of the SAND token has a say and can vote on relevant changes to the platform through a Decentralized Autonomous Organization (DAO) structure.
Moreover, SAND holders have the ability to stake the SAND tokens that will reap multiple rewards. These rewards might also include a royalty-based share in the revenue that is generated from every transaction in SAND tokens. Other than this, staking SAND categorically increases your chance of discovering GEMs and CATALYSTs that can be used to create high-rarity game ASSETS.
How To Play The Sandbox Metaverse?
To be able to play The Sandbox, you need to have a cryptocurrency wallet. Although there are many cryptocurrency wallets available in the market, MetaMask is one of the most popular cryptocurrency wallets on the Ethereum blockchain.
Step 1: Install MetaMask Chrome Extension
- Visit the official Metamask website.
- Click the Download button in the top right corner of the Metamask home page.
- Click on Install MetaMask for Chrome.
- On the Metamask store listing page, click on Add to Chrome.
- Your browser will make sure that you actually want to install MetaMask in your browser. Read the disclaimer and then click on Add extension.
- After MetaMask is done installing in your browser, click on MetaMask in your Extensions area to launch your wallet. You may have to restart the browser in order for MetaMask to show up.
Step 2: Purchase Some SAND Tokens (Optional)
Although some games in The Sandbox are free-to-play (F2P), there are many non-free games too (e.g The Sandbox Snoopverse Early Access Pass), which require both SAND and ETH (for transaction fees). SAND is also the ecosystem’s currency for The Sandbox.
SAND it will be required for:
- Voxel artists in order to upload their voxel creations to The Sandbox’s marketplace
- For staking onto LAND. In return, stakers will earn rewards, such as highly coveted GEMs.
- For staking into a liquidity mining pool for rewards too
- Hiring game designers and artists to collaborate on projects with you or commission them to design ASSETs for your project.
The SAND token is also required if you want to purchase on The Sandbox’s marketplace items such as:
- GEMs and CATALYSTs
- Avatar Customisations
Where to Buy SAND From?
If you want to buy SAND, we highly recommend Binance as it’s one of the most highly rated centralized cryptocurrency exchanges. The platform contains various cryptocurrencies that can be traded easily.
To buy SAND on Binance follow these steps:
- Visit Binance’s homepage
- Log in to your Binance Account or create a new account from the homepage and find the Trade button on the top section of the homepage. This will take you to the classic or advanced trading page.
- Type “SAND” in the search box on the right side of your computer screen and pick one of the available trading pairs for SAND. You will open the corresponding trading pair’s page by clicking on a trading pair ( SAND/BUSD, SAND/ETH, SAND/USDT, or SAND/BTC).
- Find the Spot section and enter the required amount of SAND that you wish to purchase. The amount of SAND that you just purchased will be automatically credited to your Spot Wallet.
Step 3: Transfer SAND From Binance to Your Wallet (Optional)
Once you’ve acquired your $SAND tokens, all you need to do is send them to your Sandbox account. The process is actually quite easy:
1. While you are logged onto Sandbox’s official website, click on your avatar on the top right corner, and after that click on “Profile”.
2. On the “My Wallet” field you’ll see a long address starting with 0x. This is the wallet address you’ve connected to your Sandbox account via MetaMask in the first step we’ve described above. Copy this address.
3. While logged onto your Binance account, click on the “Wallet” tab at the top of your screen, and after that on “Fiat and Spot”
4. Look for your purchased SAND tokens and click on the “Withdraw” link visible on the same row
5. In the Address field Paste the address you’ve copied from your Sandbox account we’ve described above (see the first step)
6. On the Network field, select ETH (ERC20). Ensure you have some ETH on your Binance account for the fees. Also, make sure that your MetaMask wallet is also set on the Ethereum Mainnet.
7. Once you paste your wallet address, the “Withdraw amount” field will be visible where you can type the desired amount of SAND tokens. Type the amount of SAND tokens you want to send and click “Withdraw” and follow the security procedures to confirm the transaction.
That’s all, your SAND tokens should be visible in your wallet (you’ll receive an email confirmation from Binance, once the transaction is complete).
Step 4: Create a Sandbox Account
Once you have finished setting up your MetaMask wallet, you can sign up and play The Sandbox by following the next steps:
- Visit the Sandbox official website, and then click on the “Sign in” button at the top-right corner of the page.
- Next, click on the “Create Account” button. During the registration process, the game will connect to your Metamask wallet integrated into your chrome browser.
- When you log in, a notification will pop up and you need to click “Sign” to confirm the signature for your wallet.
- Next, create a username and add your email address.
- Type your desired password twice and click “Save”.
- The registration process is now complete and the dashboard will now appear on the screen.
How To Make Money in The Sandbox Metaverse?
The game’s main idea is to make unique items that can be traded in NFT marketplaces. For this reason, you need to bring your creative side out to generate money in The Sandbox space.
1. Selling Artworks: Let’s say you are into art; the platform will provide you with a platform to create artworks and sell them on The Sandbox’s market to generate the in-game currency for yourself, i.e., SAND.
2. Creating Game(s): If you’re an aspiring game designer, the easiest way for you to earn from the platform is to create a game(or multiple games) using the Game Maker, and you can keep a price for people who wish to play them.
3. Trading LAND: Even owning a LAND can help you make money. With the increasing number of players investing in the game, you will witness the price of the LAND increase. This will provide you with the opportunity of turning your investments into profits.
4. Renting LAND: The Sandbox will also allow users to rent out their LAND to others, such as game designers who do not own any LAND.
5. Playing Games & Competitions: You can also earn SAND by playing platform games or participating in competitions.
What is LAND?
A LAND is a digital piece of real estate in The Sandbox’s metaverse. Game designers use LAND to build digital experiences, such as games or dioramas and also populate it with ASSETs.
Each LAND is a unique, non-fungible ERC-721 token on the Ethereum blockchain. A total of 166,464 LANDs will be available. Multiple LANDs can be combined to form ESTATEs. A special type of ESTATE owned by more than one person is called a DISTRICT.
LANDs can be accessed through a virtual map on The Sandbox’s official website. The proximity of LANDs to large partners and other key positions will play a role in the gameplay, visitor counts, economy, and visibility of the games built on those LANDs.
It will also be possible to rent LAND to game creators. Game creators will also be able to collaborate with other creators or voxel artists to build a great experience on that LAND, and can also be combined into larger ESTATEs or DISTRICTs, as long as they are adjacent. Alternatively, ESTATEs can be split into smaller LANDs.
How to Buy LAND in The Sandbox?
You can purchase LAND with SAND tokens, in official The Sandbox LAND sales, which are held on the Map of The Sandbox website. The dates of these sales are announced weeks in advance to allow you time to prepare.
LAND purchased on secondary markets, such as OpenSea or Rarible for example, will show in your inventory on The Sandbox website, as long as the LAND is in the same third-party wallet that you connected to your Sandbox account when you registered.
How To Buy LAND in the Official Sandbox LAND Sales?
- Set up your wallet: You can use MetaMask as it is one of the most common and renowned digital wallets with excessive accessibility and easy-to-use UI, and seamless integration with The Sandbox website.
- Buy $ETH and $SAND from Binance.
- Perform the transfer of your $ETH and $SAND tokens into the wallet you just set up
- Purchase LAND on The Sandbox Map.
- Visit the Sandbox website, sign in and click the Map section of the left side menu
- Choose a piece of land that you like.
- Select the specifications of the piece of land you wish to purchase and finalize your purchase.
- The platform will deduct the price of the LAND from your wallet.
The Sandbox VoxEdit
VoxEdit is a user-friendly software for artists and players to create, rig, and animate their voxel-based NFTs. Voxels are square 3D pixels that look like lego blocks. They can be quickly edited on VoxEdit to form different shapes.
For example, users can create avatar-oriented equipment like clothing or weapons, or design animals, greenery, game tools, and goods to use in The Sandbox. These virtual goods can then be exported and traded on the Sandbox Marketplace as NFTs.
- Move Camera: Alt + Right-click
- Rotate Camera around current point: Alt + Left-click
- Add Voxel: Left-click
- Remove Voxel: Right-click
- Zoom in/out: Mouse wheel up/down
- Undo (up to 3 operations): Shift+Z
- Toggle Flying mode using FPS controls: Q+WASD keys
- Scroll volume in all 3 axes: Numpad arrow numbers
This set of tools is divided into several parts; the different modes for the tools, how can you apply the voxels, a color picker, and a pivot. From top to bottom:
- Select tool: you can select voxels and move them
- Add voxels
- Paint voxels
- Erase voxels
Tools for Voxels
- Pencil to add one voxel add a time
- Line to add voxels creating a rect line
- Add/paint/erase voxels in an area that you can select
- Add/paint/erase voxels in a face
- Add/paint/erase in an area that has the same color
- Allows you to pick the color of the model without having to go to the palette, you can pick this tool by clicking the alt button
- To move the pivot to a different part of the model
In comparison with the modeler part, the animator has fewer tools to use:
Rigging of your character models involves the process of identifying the bone structures of your characters. This allows your character to practice different types of animations that include humanoid or animal-like animations.
Timeline and Animations
The timeline and animations section of the VoxEdit allows you to make standardized animations with the characters or models that you create.
The Sandbox Game Maker
With the help of the Game Maker, users can easily build unique 3D games within the Sandbox metaverse. Since the layout of the program is simple, you don’t need to have any dedicated game development coding knowledge to operate it. Minor arrangements provide users the liberty to design and organize different elements and objects.
The players can develop and populate their unique universe with the help of the following resources: Glass, Lava, Lightning, Water, Soil, and Sand.
The Sandbox Marketplace
The Sandbox marketplace was launched in April 2021. It is a dedicated NFT marketplace where users can easily trade their in-game assets with the amount of SAND they have in their wallets. These traded assets can be easily used within the Sandbox metaverse environment with the use of Game Maker.
So you get to create unique gameplays with your dedicated assets. The types of these NFTs vary from characters, buildings, and all the way to wearables which are completely usable.
Who Is Behind The Sandbox?
Arthur Madrid and Sebastien Borget co-founded The Sandbox in 2011. The leading Play-to-Earn blockchain game has offices all across the world, however, it’s headquartered in Hong Kong. As of today, the company has a decorated portfolio and experience of over a decade in both the gaming and 3D development industry.
During this time period, the company has managed to develop and release a handful of mobile games that include the likes of Goosebumps Horror Town, The Addams Family Mystery Mansion, Wonder Park, Snoopy’s Town Tale, and Garfield.
Partnerships and Funding
The Sandbox has many partnerships across the board considering its maturity in the crypto space. Its list of partners across the world contains exceptional brands, some of which are Adidas, Atari, Bored Ape, Yacht Club, Binance, Snoop Dogg, and The Smurfs.
The Sandbox team has a dedicated goal of leveraging these partnerships to provide themselves with a headstart for reaching a whopping 100 million user target in the next decade.
All the brands that the Sandbox has partnered with have purchased their own LANDs in The Sandbox game to create unique and multiplayer adventures within the platform. This also allows them to provide unique and rare NFTs that are linked with the basic partnerships.
Metaverse as a concept is seeing some unrealistic levels of support from the overall crypto community. The Sandbox is a visual representation of how virtual worlds work in a metaverse.
With the level of details in The Sandbox’s Metaverse environment, users are destined to have a great time in the virtual world! The play-to-earn game encompasses promising opportunities for various stakeholders including creators, gamers, and designers.
The platform provides dedicated support to its users to practice their rights of ownership over their in-game experiences. Moreover, they can even monetize their corresponding digital assets. It is safe to claim that The Sandbox Metaverse is a detailed user-generated content platform that provides dedicated access to users to the mighty concept of the metaverse.
In comparison to other renowned play-to-earn games, The Sandbox Metaverse doesn’t consist of a preset gaming world. It has the maturity to acknowledge and accept the customizations of the users with the use of free and easy-to-use tools.
The Sandbox FAQs
How to earn in The Sandbox?
You can earn rewards in The Sandbox by playing Games created by other players, by creating Games and monetizing them, or by creating ASSETS and selling them on the marketplace.
How to access the Sandbox Metaverse?
1. Visit The The Sandbox official website
2. At the top right corner, click Sign In, and connect your MetaMask wallet.
3. After signing in, you can either head over to the Map section to explore the different pieces of LAND or visit the Create section to unlock your creative side. The Create section includes the famous Game Maker and the VoxEdit
Is The Sandbox game free to play?
Although some games in The Sandbox are free-to-play (F2P), there are many non-free games too created by other players (e.g The Sandbox Snoopverse Early Access Pass), which require both SAND and ETH (for transaction fees).
What is the purpose of The Sandbox game?
The Sandbox is based on the concept of Play-to-Earn, providing creators with true ownership of their creations in the form of non-fungible tokens (NFTs). Moreover, it goes above and beyond to ensure that the creators receive rewards for their participation.